Also included are pew rental lists, statements of expenses and receipts, fire insurance policies, and burial lot subscriptions and deeds.
The earliest entry, dated February 23, 1814, Minutes of Consistory Meetings, mentions the election of church officers held at the new church edifice September 25, 1813.
It was only in 1833 that the decision was taken to build today’s church, which is clearly inspired by the octagonal domed church.
Prince Willem Frederik Hendrik was present on the 5th of July 1835 at the inauguration of the church, which was finished in 1837.
Return to top The collection is currently unprocessed and not available for research.
Please contact Special Collections Research Center for more information.
At first glance, the intersection of Flatbush Avenue and Kings Highway is fairly non-descript.
Aside from the ever-present congestion, this vista is fairly typical of south Brooklyn: prominent thoroughfare, local business district, brick apartment buildings and houses developed from the early- to mid-20th century.
It was not long before it was judged to small and from 1743 onwards the government services left the building.
The Reverend Johannes Megapolensis was selected by Stuyvesant to be the chief minister of the Dutch church in New Amsterdam.
Prior to this position, he was a missionary to the Mohawk Indians in Fort Orange (present-day Albany).
The vital records are important genealogically since New York State's Department of Health did not begin recording vital records until 1880.
The consistory minutes relate the goals, both spiritual and material, of a small church for more than a century.